Immigration Q&A

Q1 I have overstayed my visit. I am thinking of marrying a Japanese man. Is it better to consult an immigration lawyer?

A1 Basically, any couples can accomplish all the procedures to apply for their international marriage registration by themselves. In this case, however, because you are in a difficult situation, it is very advisable to ask an expert for some assistance. Please consult an immigration lawyer and let him handle your complicated situation.

Q2 I’m a Japanese national who is planning to marry a Bangladeshi man whose visa to stay in Japan has already expired. Are there any resolutions for us to be eligible to get married without him being deported to Bangladesh?

A2 Generally speaking, the immigration authorities and the embassy order the people to leave Japan, yet we have seen many cases in which a foreigner has gained permission which allows him to remain in Japan without returning to his country. When it comes to the period of inspection to obtain the special permission for the people with an invalid visa while applying in Japan, it depends on each regional Immigration Bureau. But more and more people are likely to receive the permission within one year.

Q3 I am a Filipino and I am going to divorce my Japanese husband. What procedures do I need to take for the divorce?

A3 If your husband owns his habitual residence in Japan, the divorce is implemented by Japanese law. You need to perform the procedures for divorce in the municipal office of the residential district of you and your husband, so that the divorce by mutual consent will be established. Please fill in a Notification of Divorce by Consent and submit it to the office of the area where your address is registered or your Family Register is kept.